Formed in 2013 by YG Entertainment through an Mnet survival program ‘WIN: Who Is Next’ and a debut release that earned them the title of “Monster Rookies”, WINNER (위너) originally a 5-member group, now has 4 multi-talented members: Yoon (Seungyoon), Jinu (Jinwoo), Hoony (Seunghoon) and Mino (Song Min Ho).
Debut Date: August 17, 2014
Debut Album (EP): “2014 S/S ”
Debut Single: ‘Empty’
Fandom Name: “INNERCIRCLE”
Mino (Song Min Ho)
Birth Date: March 30, 1993
Position: Main Rapper, Vocalist
TMI: Die-hard fan of Korean dish, Tteokboki 🙂
“Fight Club” is his all-time favourite movie.
Runner-up of Show Me The Money Season 4.
Has an adorable munchkin cat called Johnny!
Was an underground rapper by the name “Hugeboy Mino” 😉
Hoony (Lee Seung Hoon)
Birth Date: January 11, 1992
Position: Main Dancer, Lead Rapper, Vocalist
TMI: Can speak Japanese too 😉
Has an Italian Greyhound, named Haute.
Has choreographed a flash mob performance for G-Dragon.
Had auditioned for ‘Korea’s Got Talent’ as part of the dance group ‘Honest Boys’.
Jinu (Kim Jin Woo)
Birth Date: September 26, 1991
Position: Lead Vocalist, Visual
TMI: Nicknamed as International Lost Kid xD
Loves to play video games and is a homebody 😉
Is allergic to cat fur but still has 2 Sphynx cats, Bay and Ray.
Has just begun his compulsory military service on April 2, 2020.
Yoon (Kang Seung Yoon)
Birth Date: January 21, 1994
Position: Leader, Main Vocalist, Maknae
TMI: Has a has a poodle named Thor xD
Claims himself to be a look-alike of So Ji Sub or Lee Jun Ki 😉
Has won ‘Rookie of the Year’ on Gaon Chart Award in 2010!
Has acted acted in “High Kick! 3” , “The Producers”, “Prison Playbook”, “We Broke Up” and “Love for a Thousand More”!
- On October 25, 2013 the original five members who had competed as “Team A” on Mnet survival program ‘Win: Who Is Next’ were announced as the winners thus claiming the title “Winner”.
- On November 15, 2013, they performed as the opening act at label-mate senior, Big Bang’s Japanese dome tour.
- Broadcasted their own reality program, ‘Winner TV’, consisting of ten episodes starting December 13, 2013.
- On March 1 and 2, 2014 Winner performed as guests at label-mate senior, 2NE1’s All or Nothing tour in Seoul.
- Also joined the ‘YG Family Power World Tour’ from April 12, 2014.
- On August 6, 2014 Winner awed the public through the unique idea of holding a showcase in the form of a launch party with an audience of 400 attendees.
- Officially debuted on August 17, 2014 with lead singles “Empty” and “Color Ring” and made their first appearance was on SBS’ Inkigayo.
- Album “2014 S/S” charted at No. 1 on Gaon as well as Billboard World Albums Chart, while lead singles “Empty” and “Color Ring” claimed 1st and 3rd, respectively on Gaon.
- Became the fastest group to win on a music show through M! Countdown.
- Were awarded the ‘Top 10 Artist’ award on Melon Music Awards, followed by multiple ‘Best New Artist’ awards on shows including Golden Disc Awards and Gaon Chart Music Awards, 2014.
- Found success in China, soon earning the ‘Best New Force Group’ award at the QQ Music Awards alongside the ‘Most Popular Korean Group’ award on the Youku Tudou Young Choice 2014.
- Released a Japanese version of their album, 2014 S/S: Japan Collection which peaked at No. 2 on the Oricon Weekly Album Chart and then embarked on their first Japan tour the next day.
- Winner returned with EP, ‘Exit : E’ on February 1, 2016 after a hiatus, which debuted at debuted at No. 2 on Billboard’s World Albums Chart and No. 1 on the Gaon Album chart.
- Lead singles “Baby Baby” and “Sentimental” topped all eight music streaming platforms in South Korea and achieved a real-time “all-kill” with “Baby” becoming the most streamed song within the first half of the year among Korean releases on QQ Music in China.
- Held their “First-ever concert tour” nationwide starting on March 12 and 13, 2016 at Olympic Gymnasiums Arena in Seoul.
- From April 23, 2016 Winner aired on JTBC their variety show ‘Half-Moon Friends’ which surpassed 100 million views through platforms in China.
- Won the Overseas Popularity Award at the MTV Asia Music Gala, 2016.
- After 14 months of hiatus, on April 4, 2017 Winner made their anticipated return with album, ‘Fate Number For’, with lead single “Really Really” achieved placing No. 1 on Gaon, while also debuting at No. 3 on Billboard World Digital Song Sales and earning a record of surpassing 100 million streams, making Winner the first ever male idol group in history to achieve this while keeping their “Chart-In” status.
- On November 30, 2017 Kang and Mino released the soundtrack, “The Door” for tvN’s Prison Playbook, where Kang starred in.
- Released their ‘First Japanese studio album’, “Our Twenty For” on February 7, 2018, soon after which the group embarked on their third Japan tour, “We’ll Always Be Young”.
- On April 4, 2018 Winner released their second studio album, ‘Everyday’, consisting of twelve songs in total including the lead single titled“Everyday” as well.
- On July 4, 2018 Winner announced their ‘First world tour’, Everywhere.
- On November 26, 2018 Mino made his solo debut with studio album ‘XX’ and lead single “Fiancé” which topped Gaon’s Digital and Streaming charts for the month of December.
- On December 19, 2018 Winner returned with single album, Millions which claimed the No. 2 spot on Gaon Music Charts.
- “Ah Yeah” released as part of EP, We, on May 15, 2019 peaked at No. 2 on Gaon while EP We claimed No. 1.
- On July 3, 2019 Winner commenced on their 2019 concert tour in Japan.
- On August 14, 2019 Jinu made his solo debut with single album ‘Jinu’s Heyday ‘and lead single “Call Anytime” (또또또) which charted number two on Gaon Chart.
- Released their third EP ‘Cross’ with lead single “Soso” on October 23, 2019.
- Won at V Live Awards, 2019 for categories, ‘Artist Top 10’ and ‘Global Artist Top 12’.
- On March 26, 2020 Winner released a pre-release single titled “Hold” (뜸), which charted No. 1 at South Korean music platforms like Naver, Bugs and Soribada.
- Initiated a “Ddeum Challange” on TikTok which became a trending challenge within South Korea.
- Released 3rd studio album on April 9, 2020 titled “Remember” right after Jinu’s enlistment in the military on April 2, 2020 which will result in a temporary halt for all full group activities.
One of Winner’s ultimate playlist-material tracks, “Really Really” is not just a catchy upbeat track but it is also surprising tropical house genre track that infuses the members’ own style and preferences.
A raw with emotions kind of track that portrays the humane and ‘just-like-us’ side of WINNER, is their popular and emotional but not overly sappy song titled, “Fool”.
Check out their latest comeback titled “Remember” which will surely make you teary-eyed T.T
These “Monster Rookies” that go back-and-forth between being on hiatus and then coming back stronger than ever, with a more powerful comeback every single time are on their way to dominate the whole world be it as a group or individual solo artists 😉
Did any of the facts surprise you?
Have you already checked out and fallen in love with their latest comeback?
Let us know your thoughts in the comments 🙂